It’s time for spring cleaning, and that can include your eating habits! I’m starting another round of the 21-Day Sugar Detox on Monday, May 4, 2015. Want to join me? Sign up for online coaching. A monthly subscription is free for May if you use the discount code SPRINGCLEAN by 5/15/2015. That will get you access to my private Facebook group for support, as well as member-only content, webinars, and more. You have nothing to lose, except maybe your sugar addiction.
My local Chipotle finally has carnitas again. Winston is impressed.
Photo taken at: Chipotle
When I had previously switched to a low-carb way of eating, Netrition was my go-to place for all things low-carb, like sugar free syrups, snacks, and other items I just couldn’t find in local stores. This was back when Atkins shakes weren’t common in stores as they are now. These days it’s relatively easy to find low-carb goodies at the grocery store, but I decided to take a look at Netrition the other night, to see if they had anything new. Im happy to say that they had a ton of stuff, and I bought a small sampling of it to try.
My order arrived today, and I decided to try the LC Homestyles beef chili for dinner, to see if they were worth buying more to keep at the office. I will be placing an order for several more first thing tomorrow! Here’s what I liked about it:
- The chili is shelf stable, and doesn’t require refrigeration until after it’s opened. That will make keeping it in the office for days I forget to take my lunch very easy.
- The serving size is 10 ounces, and that filled me up quite nicely.
- The chili was pretty tasty, though not as spicy as I like it, but that can be fixed with some hot sauce.
- The price was reasonable. It’s $2.69/serving, which isn’t cheap, but it’s much less than I would spend going out for lunch when I forget to pack something.
- It’s only 4 net carbs!
This delicious meal is pretty easy to make. Just prep it right before you go to bed, and wake up to the smell of a yummy, low-carb breakfast.
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 package frozen peppers and onions
- 12 large eggs
- spices to taste
- Grease the sides and bottom of the slow cooker with butter.
- Brown the sausage.
- Layer half of each of the sausage, yogurt, peppers/onions, and cheese (in that order). Repeat with another layer of each, but keep a little bit of the cheese aside for later.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, and spices to taste (see notes).
- Pour the egg and spice mixture evenly over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over everything.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- The first time I made this I used chili powder, cumin, and oregano for my spices, and it was very yummy. It would probably also be good with oregano, basil, and rosemary.
- Bacon! Everything is better with bacon! And I bet this is no exception. Next time I will add a couple of layers of bacon. Ham might be another good addition.
- You could probably lower the carb count a bit by taking out the Greek yogurt, but it adds a nice flavor.